Departments & Divisions
Peggy P. Alexander, D.D.S., M.P.H.
- 2010 - Postdoctoral Fellowship - General Dentistry - International Congress of Oral Implantologists
- 1991 - MPH - Public Health - University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston
- 1989 - Internship - Geriatric Education - UTHSCSA
- 1987 - Residency - Hospital Dentistry - UTHSCSA
- 1981 - DDS - Dentistry - Meharry Medical College
- 1961 - BS - Biology - University of Alabama
- 1957 - Certificate - Dental Hygiene - University of Alabama
- 6/2010 - Clinical Professor - UTHSCSA, Comprehensive Dentistry, San Antonio
- 8/2008 - Research Associate - UTHSCSA, Periodontics, San Antonio
Research & Grants
Funding Agency NIH Title Diabetes: Implant Integration, Success, and Benefit Status Active Period 12/2006 - 12/2018 Role Co-Investigator Grant Detail Principal Investigator in an RO1 NIH Research Project working with placing implant supported dentures in diabetic patients. This study focuses on providing dental implants for support of mandibular dentures. Our goal is to contribute to the quality of life for our diabetic patients giving them the opportunity to receive this standard of dental care. As of May 2012, we have delivered dentures to 134 patients. Input from the participants supports our hypothesis that their quality of life has improved radically. This study will be a cohort study of poor glycemic control in type 2 Diabetes. Patients will show that it is directly related correlation to short-term impairments and delays in implant integration, but does not impair longer-term implant integration.