For administrative calls, please contact:
- Iris Mast
Departments & Divisions
Shah–Hinan Ahmed, M.D.
Clinical Associate Professor of Medicine
S. Hinan Ahmed, MD, is board certified in internal medicine with subspecialty certification in interventional cardiology and cardiovascular disease. Dr. Ahmed earned his medical degree at Government Medical College, Srinagar, India, and completed a post-doctoral fellowship in cerebrovascular diseases at Washington University, St. Louis, MO. He completed a residency in internal medicine and a fellowship in heart failure at Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston.
He then completed a fellowship in cardiovascular diseases at University of South Alabama, Mobile; and a fellowship in interventional cardiology at University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. In 2008, he joined the faculty at UT Health Science Center.
Active in research, Dr. Ahmed has participated in more than 15 clinical research projects and clinical trials, including serving as co-investigator for a research studies funded by the National Institutes of Health and the American Heart Association. He is the author or co-author of more than 50 articles in peer-reviewed medical journals, as well as several book chapters. He has been an invited speaker or presenter at more than 50 regional, national, and international conferences and symposia. Dr Ahmed has received several awards for teaching and preceptorship.
A member of the Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions, the Society of Vascular Medicine, and the American College of Cardiology, he also serves as associate editor for Catheterization & Cardiovascular Interventions Journal and as a reviewer for Circulation.
- 2008 - Clinical Fellowship - Interventional Cardiology - University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Campus
- 2007 - Clinical Fellowship - Cardiovascular Diseases - University of South Alabama
- 2004 - Clinical Fellowship - Heart Failure - Medical University of South Carolina
- 2003 - Residency - Internal Medicine - Medical University of South Carolina
- 1998 - Postdoctoral Fellowship - Cerebrovascular Diseases - Washington University
- 1998 - Internship - Internal Medicine - Government Medical College, Srinagar, India and St. Louis University
- 1998 - MD - Medicine/Surgery - Government Medical College
- 1990 - BS - Biology - S.P. Higher Secondary School
- 1/2019 - Director, Structural Heart Diseases and Clinic Director - University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Medicine, San Antonio
- 1/2015 - Director, Chest Pain Center - UHSSan Antonio
- 9/2014 - Associate Professor / Clinical - University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Medicine, Division of Cardiology, San Antonio
- 1/2012 - Assistant Professor, Cardiothoracic Surgery - University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Cardiothoracic Surgery, San Antonio
- 11/2008 - Assistant Director, Cardiac Catheterization Lab - Audie L. Murphy Veterans HospitalSan Antonio
Instruction & Training
- 2/2013 - Present, Imaging in Peripheral Arterial Disease
- 7/2012 - Present, Undergraduate Student Supervision, UT Health Science Center at San Antonio
- 11/2009 - Present, Adv Clin Eval Skills, The University of Texas Health Science Center
- 1/2009 - Present, ECG Evaluation in STEMI, University Hospital Systems
- American Board of Internal Medicine/Interventional Cardiology
- American Board of Internal Medicine