Deanna Maida, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
Pediatric Thrombosis Program, Medical Director
Dr. Maida is pediatric hematologist with a particular focus on hemostasis and thrombosis. As a physician within the South Texas Comprehensive Hemophilia Treatment Center, her interests include inherited platelet disorders, von Willebrand disease, factor deficiencies, connective tissue disorders, acquired disorders of coagulopathy, thrombophilia, and prevention and treatment of pediatric thrombosis. She designed and implemented a grant funded quality improvement project educating hemophilia patients, their families, and their community in the South Texas outreach population. She is trained in the use of bedside musculoskeletal ultrasound, a tool that has transformed bleeding treatment recommendations for patients with suspected hemarthrosis.
She the medical director of the Pediatric Thrombosis Program and the local principal investigator for the Children’s Hospital Acquired Thrombosis Consortium. She serves as a member of the University Hospital Anti-coagulation Committee, and has designed and implemented general pediatric thrombosis prophylaxis guidelines, argatroban guidelines, and updated warfarin guidelines for clinical use. Currently, she is in the process of designing a pediatric stroke code algorithm for hospital-wide use. She is also involved with medical student, resident, and faculty education regarding both hemostasis and thrombosis.
- 2013 - MD - Medicine - The University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria
- 2008 - B.A. - Neuroscience - The Johns Hopkins University
- 2019 - Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Fellowship - UT Health Science Center San Antonio
- 2016 - Pediatric Internship and Residency - The University of Rochester
- 2019 - Assistant Professor - UT Health San Antonio
- 2019 - Medical Director, Pediatric Thrombosis Program - UT Health San Antonio
- 2019 - Pediatric Hematologist within the South Texas Comprehensive Hemophilia Treatment Center - UT Health San Antonio
- 2019 - Member of the Anticoagulation Safety Committee - University Hospital System
Instruction & Training
- 2020, Fellow Board Review in Pediatric Hematology, UT Health San Antonio
- 2020, Bleeding Disorders TBL for Medical Students, Joe R. & Teresa Lozano Long School of Medicine
- 2018, 2020, Dental School Resident Lecture Series, UT Health San Antonio
- 2019 - Present, Medical Student Rotation Supervisor , UT Health San Antonio/University Hospital Systems
- 2019 - Present , Pediatric Resident Rotation Supervisor, UT Health San Antonio/University Hospital Systems
- 2019, Speaker at the 56th Annual Teaching Conference Pediatrics for the Practitioner, UT Health San Antonio
- 2017 - Present, Hematology Conference, UT Health San Antonio
- 2016 - Present, Journal Club, UT Health San Antonio
- 2016 - Present, Pediatric Resident Lecture Series in Hematology/Oncology, UT Health San Antonio
Genetic Counseling for Hemophilia: A Quality Improvement and Educational Outreach Initiative for South Texas
Children's Hospital Acquired Thrombosis Clinical Trial Protocol No. 1901 entitled, “Prospective validation of a venous thrombosis risk assessment model in critically ill children from the CHAT Registry (CHAT 1901)"